ImKiwi10's TR 6/8: "But I wanted a churro!"

Thanks for stopping by to read my trip report! If you've been keeping up so far,


Julie: That's me! I'm 19, a Disney Store Cast Member, lover of Mickey and the Seven Dwarves, an Off Kilter fanatic, and the writer of the trip report.

Mom: Also known as Debbie. She's 44, active in our church and at craft fairs, a thrill ride chicken for the most part, lover of Piglet and Mickey, and also an Off Kilter fanatic.

Dad: Also known as Ray. He's 47, a warehouse manager, the one that has to be dragged everywhere, a big car racing fan, and as of late, a bigger Off Kilter fanatic than we had realized.

When did we go?: May 8th-15th, 1999
Where did we stay?: Port Orleans, room 7130
How did we get there?: Drove from Nashville
How long is this section?: 4514 words

`..`..`..`..`..`..`..`..` ..`..

Thursday, May 13, 1999

The phone was supposed to ring at 7:02, but seeing as how I forgot to set the wake up call, I was awoken by the nervous beeping of the normal alarm. My failure to do this made mom really mad since she'd had so much trouble waking me up all week. She'd been making us get up really early then making us go, go, go all day without rest. This morning, when she went to wake me up, I was extremely tired and told her I didn't want to get up (you've gotta keep in mind that during the summer, I can very easily sleep until noon or later every day). The longer I laid there, the madder she got. Finally, when she resorted to saying "Julie, we're going to Magic Kingdom today" I actually said, "I'd rather sleep!" That's how tired I was. I would have rather slept than go to a park. That was pretty bad.

Once I finally got up, mom was still mad at me. I kept asking why we had to get up so early if we were doing E-ride Night that night, and her response always was "If we're not going to get to a park until 11:00, what's the point in even coming to Disney World?" She doesn't understand that eventhough it *is* Disney World, it's not nearly as much fun if I'm miserably tired the whole time. So I dragged myself together, got dressed, and we headed to the Magic Kingdom.

We'd decided to have breakfast in the Main Street Bakery. Mom and I ate there one morning when we went in December of '97 and really liked it, so we'd been wanting to eat there again. I'd also been wanting one of those giant cinnamon buns they have since we were there that December. We got to the Magic Kingdom about quarter til nine and headed straight for the bakery. When we got there, there weren't too many people in line, so we were through fairly quickly. I got one of the mega cinnamon buns and mom and dad both got the caramel buns with nuts on top.

Once we were seated, the crowd seemed to pour in. The line was out the door within a few minutes of our getting through the line. We were very glad that we had come in when we did, since we had a table and lots of the people just coming in didn't. The quartet didn't make an appearance this time like they had in December, but everything else was very nice. And my cinnamon bun was very, very good. Once we were done, we headed back to Town Square to buy our passes for E-Ride Night.

When we got to City Hall, I assumed that purchasing our passes would be no problem. Well, I was a bit wrong. Mom was going to pay for hers and dad's, so she went first. She showed her resort ID, paid for them with cash and had no problem. Then it was my turn, so I put my resort ID on the counter and got out my check card. In passing, I asked if she knew if a Cast discount was available, and I put my Cast Member ID on the counter. She pressed a few buttons and said that there wasn't, so I handed her my check card. Since I have "Check ID" written on my check card, I put my drivers license on the counter too.

,p>She ran my card through the machine and handed me the receipt to sign. When I signed it, she took a long look at my signature. Then she looked at my license, then my check card, then my Cast Member ID, and said "Ma'am...these signatures don't match up." I'm sure I gave her a really weird look, at which point, she picked up my license and held it next to my receipt and gave it a long, hard look. After a few seconds she looks back and me and says "I'm sorry ma'am, but these signatures don't match up." I didn't know how to respond. She had my check card, my drivers license, my Cast Member ID and my resort ID, all of which have my name and signature on them, and she still couldn't figure out that the check card was mine?!?!

I didn't know what to do. I couldn't tell if she was going to give me my cards back or not. All I could say was "Well, that's *my* card. All the names match." I even asked (I believe with a bit of an attitude, since she was being weird about it) if she wanted me to sign it again, and she didn't like that idea. She was still giving me nasty looks, so I turned to mom and said under my breath but definitely loud enough for her to hear, "Yeah, I'm gonna throw my career away over a ten dollar E-Ride ticket!" At that, she acted kind of upset and handed me all of my cards back plus my ticket. Sheesh. Not that I expect to be treated differently since I am a Cast Member, but in a situation like that where you have three forms of ID including a license and Cast ID, I expect, like most people, to be given the benefit of the doubt.

After we left there, we headed back down Main Street. Mom made me take some more pictures of the castle, then we went into Fantasyland. The first ride of the morning was Snow White's Adventures. I took a look in the shop near the exit and noticed that they were selling Grad Night beanies. This year, they had Goofy and Tigger, and I figured I should pick one up since the previous Grad Night Mickeys and Poohs had become so valuable. I picked up a Goofy (since Tigger is one of my least favorite Disney characters) then we decided to take in Legend of the Lion King. We were in the first show of the morning so we didn't have to wait all that long.

Afterwards, we rode Peter Pan's Flight, followed by It's a Small World. Next came the carousel, where we had an encounter with an extremely compulsive family. I guess it was the baby's first ride on a carousel, and the family was sitting on a horse in front of me and to the right. For the entire length of the trip, the man and woman didn't stop taking pictures of the baby, and what was so bad was that they were always aiming the camera right at me!!! There was no shooting straight on or shooting with the outside of the carousel in the frame...they aimed at me every single time! About halfway through the ride, the mom traded places with the dad and took more pictures of the baby. I swear, the family had to have taken fifteen or sixteen pictures, all of which had me in the background. After the first ten or so, I started hamming it up by making faces and gestures at them (nothing bad, just a thumbs up or a wide eyed smile like I was having the time of my life on the, I wish I could see those pictures...).

Once I was done with my photo session, we walked over to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and had a moment of silence. I peeked under the wall again, but still didn't see anything other than the big green dumpster. When I was done, we went over to the Tomorrowland Speedway with the intention of making mom ride it (it's one of the only things mom hadn't done, aside from thrill rides), but the line was really long, so we decided to pass. Instead we went over to Mickey's ToonTown Fair for a while. Since it had been almost two years since I had ridden Goofy's Barnstormer, I concluded that I needed to ride it. Within a few minutes, I was on board, and was again shocked at how much wilder the ride is than it looks. I mean, it's still not *that* bad, but it is a bit zippier than it looks. Mom still won't ride it though.

Afterwards, I stopped in the County Fair to see what characters were in each line. They were a bunch of characters that can be found everywhere else (Minnie, Chip, Dale, Pooh, Tigger...) and I already had all of their autographs, so I didn't get in any of the lines. Instead, I looked around the County Bounty for something Pluto. I'd decided a few trips ago that I was going to try to buy something Pluto from County Bounty on every trip, but I may have to rethink that since I had to search so hard for something. I didn't want to spend the money on a big plush or even a larger bean bag plush of him, and there was basically nothing else. Finally, I found a cute wind up Pluto that scuttles around the table when you sit him down, so I bought it. I also found some packages of rock candy and decided that I needed them for my continued existence as well.

When we left, we decided to take a ride on the train over to Frontierland. As we rode, I opened my package of rock candy and began to munch on one of them. Once we arrived at the Main Street station, the lady behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked me what I was eating. She had never seen rock candy before! And this lady was, like, fifty! I guess by virtue of growing up near Opryland, I always had rock candy when I was a kid. I had it in dozens of different flavors! I had it on sticks, on strings, in nuggets, on foot long skewers and in every color of the rainbow...I couldn't believe that someone didn't know what rock candy was! So, blue tongued and smiling, I explained to her what it was (pure sugar with dye and flavoring in it) and where I had gotten it. She said she was going to try to get some, and I wonder if she ever did. I kept my eye out for Zazu, but alas, didn't spot him.

We got off the train at the Frontierland station and looked for something for lunch. Dad said that he wanted a turkey leg, so we found the cart for them, and he got one. Meanwhile, mom and I had gone into Pecos Bills and gotten lunch. We had eaten there in February and I had temporarily forgotten how much I disliked it. We both ordered a chicken wrap, which turned out to be the mistake of the day. These things are so messy and have so many onions and crap in them that they are just not enjoyable to eat. I tried to open it, pick all the onions out then close it back up and eat it, but I couldn't. I ended up eating it with a fork and spilling half of it on the table. Plus they don't taste that good to begin with, so I totally didn't enjoy it. I told mom that I didn't want to eat there anymore. Fortunately, I told her that right as her wrap fell apart at the seams, so she seemed to agree with me.

Before we left the restaurant, I told mom that I thought I wanted a churro since I didn't eat but about half of my lunch, and she said that she wanted one too. Well, once I got outside, I decided that I didn't want one as much as I thought, so I told mom to go ahead and get hers. At this point, she starts getting mad at me because I had said that I wanted one then had changed my mind. I told her that just because I didn't want one right then didn't mean that she couldn't get one. By now, she's getting pouty about it, insisting that I shouldn't say that I wanted one then change my mind since she didn't want to eat in front of me. I said that I didn't care, but she said that if she ate one now, she would want to eat one later when I decided to get one as well. So not only did she not get a churro, somehow, it had become my fault that she didn't get one.

Mom went to the bathroom then, and Dad and I waited outside for her. I started complaining to him about how I hated when she did stuff like that. It seems like any time one of us wants a snack, we all have to agree to get a snack. They won't let just one of us get a snack. If I want something, they feel obligated to get something too. Then if one of them wants a snack, they won't get it unless I agree to get something as well. annoys the crap out of me. He said it annoyed him too, so I didn't feel quite so bad. Once she was done, we cruised over to Adventureland and rode the Jungle Cruise, and had Skipper Halburton. He was really laid back about telling the jokes, so most of them came across as really funny, though the humor in a few of them was totally lost.

We rode Pirates of the Caribbean while we were in the area, as well as took in the Enchanted Tiki Room. We skipped the Swiss Family Treehouse since mom and I had seen it in February and didn't care to repeat it. When we were done, we crossed back over into Frontierland then over to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion. Once we were done, we saw the loading dock for the Mike Fink Keelboats. Since we had never ridden them, we decided to go ahead and get in line. Dad insisted on sitting on the top of the boat, which I thought was a big mistake. The seats were so hot that they were burning our legs (well, mom and dad's legs...I was wearing pants, and was very glad for it) and the sun shined on us the whole time. It was very hot but enjoyable nonetheless. The captain did an ok job, but the sound system seemed kinda old, so she wasn't very loud and sounded sorta mumbly. There were also a bunch of cranes walking around the dock when we returned, and it was fun watching the little kids interact with them.

As we left the keelboats, we collectively (*grumble*) decided that we wanted some ice cream. The nearest cart was near the Fantasyland Skyway, so we hoofed it over there. Once there, mom and I decided that was wanted Itzakadoozies, which are long, twisty water popsicles, and dad wanted a Mickey Premium bar. The guy told us that he was out of Itzakadoozies, so mom said that she wanted an ice cream sandwich. When I said that I would just wait and get my Itzakadoozie at another cart, dad gave me a furious look, handed his ice cream bar back to the guy at the cart and walked away. Now he was doing it too!!! He had, not an hour earlier, said that it annoyed him when mom did that, and now he was doing it. His excuse as well was that he didn't want them to eat in front of me. *grumble* They don't understand that I don't care if they eat in front of me!

We headed over to Tomorrowland via the hub, and we encountered another ice cream cart there. Luckily they had everything we wanted, so mom and I got Itzakadoozies and dad got a Mickey Premium bar. We ate them on the way to Tomorrowland, and my popsicle was really great. I hadn't finished mine by the time we reached Space Mountain, so mom went to ride the TTA while dad and I waited outside the exit. I got a good listen to the recorded warnings they play outside the entrance, which I think would be neat sound files to have on my computer. When I was done, we rode the right side of Space Mountain, then caught up with mom in the arcade.

We rode Buzz Lightyear a few more times, and mom and dad both claimed that their lazers weren't working (actually, dad claimed that all three times he had ridden it that he had the same vehicle...anyone know what the probability of that is?). We hopped over to Carousel of Progress and enjoyed it, since it wouldn't be open for E-Ride Night. Once we were done, dad and I decided that we were really tired and wanted to go back to the hotel, since if we didn't, we would have been spending fifteen hours in the Magic Kingdom in one day.

We caught the bus back to the hotel, at which point mom and dad decided to go to a Publix in Kissimmee for some stuff. I didn't need anything, so I stayed in the hotel and checked my e-mail. I also started to pack up some of my stuff since I knew I was going to be out late the next night at Pleasure Island. When my parents got back, we hung around the hotel for a little bit, got everything ready again and headed back out to the Magic Kingdom.

Once there, the first order of business was to have dinner. Since we had yet to eat at Pinocchio's Village, that was where we went. I hold that Pinocchio's has the best burgers on property, and on this trip, this was no exception. We all got hamburgers and fries, and dad got a sprite. Once again, since I am TDC Rapunzel, Food Rock's Head Chef and Keeper of the Monstro Table, I had to make sure that my beloved Monstro table had not fallen into disrepair since February. I rounded the corner and found my table exactly as I had left it. It was empty, so I promptly seated myself there, facing the windows into It's a Small World.

Once mom and dad were done, they knew where to find me. We devoured our burgers and fries, making loud yummy noises the entire time. I don't know what makes Pinocchio's burgers so much better than any others. They're just great. I also promised myself that I would eat more Disney World burgers from now on. After dinner was done, I decided that I really oughta head back over to Sir Mickeys and see if they had any more Grad Nite beanies still hanging around since I was sure I could find people to give them to. Mom and dad didn't want to go with me, so they decided to ride Peter Pan's Flight while I went over there.

When I got there, there were only two more Tigger beanies, so I promptly grabbed them. I also got two more Goofy beanies. I asked the lady at the desk if they had any more of the Tiggers (not that I wanted more...I was just wondering if I got the last ones) and she said that she didn't think so. Coolness. I got the last two Grad Nite Tiggers in Disney World.

I went back over to Peter Pan's Flight and sat down on a bench outside and waited on my parents. In the meantime, I watched all the people parking their strollers and trying to talk their crying kids into going on the ride. In the course of the ten minutes I sat there...parenthood started looking not quite so appealing to me! Lots of screaming, crying kids, lots of upset older kids messing with younger ones...I now have lots more respect for parents who take their young kids to Disney World!

Once we all met back up, it was about 8:30 and we figured we should start making our way towards Tomorrowland to exchange our tickets for E-Ride armbands. We went back through the hub and into the Tomorrowland Arcade. We exchanged our tickets for armbands and made our way back over to the Tomorrowland Speedway. Since this was the last day we were going to be in the Magic Kingdom, we decided that if we were going to ride the Speedway, we should go ahead and do it. This was one of the only things in Disney World that mom hadn't done. I'd ridden it twice before and dad once, so we had to make mom ride it this time. As we got in line, dad was distracted by the person standing at the Richard Petty race car and had to talk her ear off for about 20 minutes. Once we were in line, it took about thirty minutes to get through the line. The whole time mom was asking "Are you *sure* you want to ride this?" "Yes mom, I'm sure." So we got into our cars and zipped around Tomorrowland and Mickey's ToonTown Fair. What was mom's response when she got off? "That was really stupid."

That out of the way, we headed back into Tomorrowland. It was a little past nine now, so only the E-Riders were still able to be in the park. Since mom was almost upset that we had made her wait for so long to ride the speedway, she said that she wanted to ride the TTA, so we did. When we were done, we rode Buzz Lightyear two more times. For the whole trip, I had been trying to talk myself into doing Alien Encounter. Except for Country Bear Jamboree, it was the only thing in Disney World (aside from a few live shows) that I hadn't done. I tried to talk dad into going on it with me and finally, after I explained what happens in it, he decided to do it. I didn't even try to get mom to do it since she has anxiety problems in the dark.

Even on E-Ride night, we still had to wait about 20 minutes before we got to the preshow with SIR just because of the way the theaters load. I was totally terrified going into this attraction since I didn't exactly know what to expect. Well, I found my fear a bit unjustified. I was scared through the whole thing just because of the suspense of now knowing what was going to happen next. The effects and sensory aspects weren't all that scary to me. I guess it was because I could tell that it was happening to everyone and not just me. I thought the show was very well done eventhough I wasn't scared. I guess I could see how people would be though. It was very intense, but not anywhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

Once we got off, I had tons of questions. I kept pelting dad with them, but he didn't know any more than me. My main question was "Why did the alien get back inside the tube?" One moment he was flying around the room and the next minute he was squirming around back inside the shattered tube. I didn't get it. I assume he didn't either. We both concluded that it was a pretty good attraction. I'd definitely like to do it again, but I wouldn't want to make anyone wait for very long on me. Maybe I'll do it again during another E-Ride night.

We went across the walkway to the Timekeeper, but since there was still more than ten minutes left before the next show, we decided to take one more spin on Buzz Lightyear while we waited. Well, we rode, and when we were done, there were only about five left, so we waited. Once again, it was a nice show, albeit a bit not-my-thing. I like it well enough, but I really don't care to watch it anymore. We just watched it because it was there.

Afterwards, dad and I rode the right side of Space Mountain again, and then decided to spend a bit of time in Frontierland, eventhough I was the only one that was going to ride either Splash or Big Thunder Mountains. Mom used to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but she's now decided that she doesn't like it. I had also almost got dad talked into riding Splash Mountain, but when he came off of Space Mountain, he said that it had "shaken up his insides" and he didn't want to ride Splash Mountain anymore. Oh well. Maybe next time.

The trek from the hub to Splash Mountain always seems a bit creepy during E-Ride nights since there are so few people in the park. I feel like an intruder or something. Well, once we got there Splash Mountain was a walk on. I really, really enjoy this ride. It's definitely one of my favorites in Disney World. The only thing I wish they would do (and I know it will never happen) is to put a track above where the boats go for people who don't want to go down the drop to ride in. Mom hates drops of any kind, and normally she doesn't feel like she's missing too much by not riding rides with drops, but I can tell that she really wants to ride Splash Mountain, but can't because of the drops. She knows that she's missing out on a great ride.

Afterwards, we went to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and I rode it (which was the only time of the trip, boohoo). Afterwards, it was about 11:30, so we decided to call it a night (like it was a conversation..."What should we call it? A day? An afternoon?" "Hey, how about we call it a night?" "I like that!" hehehe). We walked back out and hopped on our bus, which made it back to the hfairly quickly. Once we were there, we got drinks out of the cooler and went to bed.

Go to day 7
Return to being Fyabulous!