Now showing! ImKiwi10's Trip Report! Day One!

Julie, a 19 year old Cast Member from Nashville, Tennessee, college sophomore, total Disney addict and writer of the trip report!
Debbie, Julie's mom, a 44 year old Disneyholic, Sunday School teacher, craft nut and lover of all things Piglet!
When?: February 3rd-February 7th, 1999!
Where?: Disney World and Magic Castle Inn and Suites!
How did they do it?: Drove their van for 12 hours!
How long is it?: 812 words!

Wednesday, February 3, 1999

So there we were on our way to Disney World again. It was just me and mom this time. We'd tried to convince dad that he wanted to go, but he said he couldn't take three days worth of vacation so early in the year, eventhough he needed to make good use of the annual pass he bought last November.

We got up at about 5:15 CST, got dressed and packed everything into the van. There wasn't much stuff since it was only going to be the two of us and since we were only staying for four nights. We left Nashville at 5:50 and headed down I-24 towards Murfreesboro.

We decided to have breakfast at IHOP, one of my favorite restaurants. I go to school in Murfreesboro, so I've had numerous late night meals at this IHOP with my friends. I ordered a cheddar omelet with hash browns and mom got the 3 egg, 4 bacon strip, 3 pancake breakfast. Once we paid for our meal, we stopped by Wal-Mart for a Simon and Garfunkle's greatest hits tape (which we later discovered was recorded at too fast a rate, thus making them almost sound like girls), a notepad for my trip notes and a bag of ice for our cooler. Once we were done, we were on our way again.

Our next stop was at the Tennessee Welcome Center, where we bought Mayfield chocolate milk. It's a tradition of ours that whenever we pass that rest stop, we stop and buy chocolate milk.

At 11:12 EST, we smelled the first dead skunk of the trip.

Our next major stop was in Macon, Georgia, at 2:20 for gas and lunch. We filled the van with gas and decided on McDonalds for lunch. This was, honestly, one of the most incompetent McDonalds I've ever been to. My mom ordered a hamburger happy meal and a hamburger. The girl charged my mom for two hamburger happy meals, then acted like she didn't want to give her the difference back after mom noticed that she had been overcharged. Finally she got her money back, but they kept giving her cheeseburgers or hamburgers without onions or something else that she didn't order.

Meanwhile, on a completely different register, with a completely different woman, I placed my order for a cheeseburger happy meal and a cheeseburger, both without onions. Well, this completely threw them off because they kept giving my order to my mom and asking me if I had a quarter pounder or something. Anyway, it took about 10 minutes to get it all straight. After all that, they were out of ketchup packets, so they gave us ketchup in a coffee cup. Whew. We finally got out about 20 minutes later.

Since we had come across the first dead skunk of the trip, we decided to count all the roadkill we saw on the road. Before lunch, the roadkill count stood at 11, but between about 4:30 and 4:45, the number jumped from 11 to 19! Must be all the woods...

We stopped in the Florida Welcome Center, but did not linger very long, and pretty soon it was time for dinner. We stopped at an Arby’s in Ocala at about 7:20. I ordered a turkey sub with curly fries and mom got a roast beef sandwich and potato cakes.

From that point, the going was very smooth, and we ended up at our hotel, Magic Castle Inn and Suites on US 192, at about 10:00pm. We were assigned to room 306, and found it to be a very nice room indeed. Actually, we concluded that it was a lot bigger than our All Star rooms last November, and cost almost half of what we paid for All Stars ($32 for Magic Castle vs. $52 for All Stars). Plus it came with a refrigerator.

After we got settled, we went to the gift shop next door and perused the sundries (didn't get anything). We tried to get into the nearest Publix, but it was closed by the time we got there, so we went to an Eckerd to pick up some necessities like cream cheese for the bagels I had brought for breakfast.

We got in bed at about 11:30 that night, in an attempt to get a good nights sleep before the day we had planned for the next day.

Go to Day 2
Return to being Fyabulous!